Sunday, March 6, 2011

Modelling Power lines

In our first official lab, we worked out the maximum length of cable between a load and its power source using a resistor box to model the length of cable.

The ideal power source of 12V was modeled with a power supply. The load required 11 V across it and it was worked to have a resistance of 1 kΩ so it was modeled with the appropriate resistor (brown black red).
This is the setup of another group. Gerrek (I have no idea about the spelling), my lab partner, took pictures of our set up, but I haven't received a message from him (I gave him my card with my contact info) and didn't get his contact info, so I may have to upload the picture he took after class on Monday.

We used two multimeters to simultaneously measure the current in the circuit and the voltage across the load resistor. We varied the resistance of the resistor box until the voltage across the resistor was 11.00V.
At this point: current = 10.93mA and R of total cable = 97Ω.

I worked out the time the hypothetical battery rated at 0.8Ahr would discharge in 73.2 hours, that the power to the load was 0.1195W and the lost in the cable was 0.01159W, and thus the efficiency was 91.2%.
The resistor box's rating of 0.3W was not exceeded in this experiment. Finally, I worked out that if the cable were AWG #30 wire, the load could be as far as 142m away from the power source.

No comments:

Post a Comment